SHS Week Feb 20-24
Ski Club wound up this week and students had great weather conditions to make it even more fun! Swimming has also finished up for the primary students – lessons are complete for grades 1, 2 and 3. The Valentine’s donuts were a huge hit with students – and staff! Thanks to the Snack Shop volunteers for organizing this extra treat! Thanks to all those who were able to attend Movie Night – always an enjoyable time for boys and girls. Here is what is happening this coming week at Sturgeon Heights:
Monday, February 20
- It’s Family Day! No classes for staff or students. Enjoy the day with your family. Have some fun!
Tuesday, February 21
- Mrs. Cornet’s and Mrs. Hoffman’s kindergarten students will have yoga today!
- Mrs. Kuntz’s students have swimming lessons today. Please remember swimsuits and towels!
- Indoor Games today for those students involved. They will be heading to the Butterdome. Parents need to pick up students back at the school at approximately 3:30 p.m.
- 3:30 – 5 p.m. Girls’ Basketball practice
- 7 p.m. – Grade 9 Farewell meeting – Parents are invited to get together to plan the Farewell event for our Grade 9 students. Date will be chosen, committees will be formed, lots of discussion.
Wednesday, February 22
- It’s PINK Day! Have your children wear anything pink that they may have! Help us end bullying by supporting this day. If you are in the school, you will see lots of pink shirts hanging on walls and windows. Students in Grades 1 to 6 did a great job of them!
- Students in Grade 7 will participate in a First Nation Blanket activity this morning. They have the unique opportunity to participate in an interesting and engaging workshop in which students will experience over 500 years of history by taking on the roles of Indigenous peoples in Canada. Students will stand on blankets that represent the land, and walk through time and explore the impacts of colonization, treaty-making and modern legislation.
- Miss Bilodeau’s PEP students have swimming today – 9:15 to 9:45 p.m. for the morning class and 2:00 to 2:30 p.m. for the afternoon class. Please remember to send swimsuits and towels.
- 3:30 – 5 pm – Boys Basketball Practice
Thursday, February 23
- 11 a.m. – Mr. Perlinski’s Robotics class will be taking a virtual field trip to 3M's headquarters in St. Paul, MN. They will be going behind the scene, looking at 3M innovations that are improving lives, worldwide!
- 2 pm – Sturgeon Heights’ basketball teams play at Namao today GOOD LUCK EAGLES!
- 6:30 – 7:30 P.M. – PEP LAC meeting in the library
Friday, February 24
- Prep Day for Kindergarten. PEP, Headstart– NO classes for kindergarten students
- Newsletter will be out electronically
- Hot Dogs in Snack Shop
- Students will be hosting a Wheelchair Basketball Fundraiser in support of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Kickoff will be at 2 pm in the gym, with the main event at 6 p.m. Come on out and have fun with this event! Cheer the students on!
- 3:10 – 5 pm – Grade 6 Girls’ Circle
*Please remember that Sturgeon Heights is a NUT FREE school! We have students with severe allergies. We request that no products that contain nuts be sent in to the school in snacks and lunches. This would include items containing Nutella, pre-packaged snacks (i.e. some trail mixes), etc. We appreciate your vigilance in helping us keep our children safe!
**There is a black ski helmet in the office that was left on one of the buses from Ski Club this week. Please have your son/daughter come down and pick it up, or pop in if you have time.
***School fees for this school year are due asap. Invoices and reminders went out recently. Junior high option fees are posted on PowerSchool, FYI Term Three options for junior high will be starting soon and those will be posted on PowerSchool when they begin.
****Attached please find registration information on several Early Childhood Education progams that will be coming up on March 4th. If you wish to attend, please send the form in to the school office with your child or register online, as per address in the information.
*****Forms went home this week with details of Pancake Day, coming up on February 28th. If you would like to help out, please send back the bottom portion of the form this week.
Enjoy your long weekend. See your children back at school on Tuesday.