Week Nov 14-18
Hi Parents: Yes, this is the “Friday email”; however, it is coming out on Thursday this week as tomorrow, Friday, November 11th is Remembrance Day and a holiday for staff and students.
Our Remembrance Day Observance was moving and wonderfully executed by the boys and girls who took part. The students worked very hard on their presentations and, of course, on all the decorations. Thank you to those who were able to come to the school for the Observance.
It was good to see so many of you for Parent/Teacher interviews. It’s always positive just to sit and chat for a few minutes.
There are no classes today. Staff are participating in various Professional Development day sessions today – some at Sturgeon Heights, some at other schools. Sessions on Autism, Make and Take Visuals, Reggio and several others are being held. Sturgeon Heights staff has a staff meeting in the afternoon.
Here’s what is happening next week at Sturgeon Heights:
Monday, November 14
- It’s Bullying Awareness Week! Students will be participating in several projects throughout the days this week!
Tuesday, November 15
- Volleyball – Sturgeon Heights’ teams play at Guthrie – Go Eagles Go! The season is nearly over...
Wednesday, November 16
- Elementary swimming – Grades 4, 5 and 6 will head to Fountain Park Pool in the morning. Please remember to send along your child’s swimsuit and towel.
- Picture retake day – all day – on the stage area If you would like retakes and this is not your regular school day or time, you are welcome to come in. Students may pick up a retake form at the office or from their teacher.
Thursday, November 17
- Picture retake day – morning only – on the stage area Students may pick up a retake form at the office or from their teacher.
- Hot Lunch from Taste of Ukraine for those who ordered
Friday, November 18
- Kindergarten Prep Day – no classes for students
- 9 – 10:30 a.m. - Junior Headstart Class – FOP field trip to Treehouse Indoor Playground
- Hot dogs in Snack Shop
- 2:10 – Volleyball PEP Rally
Saturday, November 19
- Volleyball Finals – Boys at Gibbons / Girls at Camilla
*We are bringing back the Lunch Lady to Sturgeon Heights on Monday’s starting December 5th. This group is under new management and has worked hard to create simple, nutritious meals that can be ordered and delivered to students in their homerooms. A menu or ordering guide will be coming home in a Friday Envelope. Feel free to consider it and order something for your child. The school would strongly ask you consider ordering ONLINE as this reduces the risk of lost forms, money or other mix-ups. This is not a school group so we will be passing along anything collected at the school directly to the Lunch Lady and if problems happen they would be most able to help directly. If you are sending in paper orders, they are due back on November 28th and all cheques should be payable to “The Lunch Lady”.
**Due to various circumstances, dates and days for planned events, practices, etc., do sometimes change quickly. We attempt to inform you as soon as possible about any changes that do take place.
*** As wonderful as this weather has been, it is certainly difficult to know how to dress your children each day. Please ensure they have on appropriate coats and footwear if at all possible. We have had a few children fall in the mud while playing. You could always slip an extra pair of pants and socks in your child’s backpack – “just in case.”
**** The Entrepreneurship class will be holding their annual Marketplace Day in a couple of weeks on November 23rd. Information about the products Please note: some of the items need to be ordered ahead of time. Heads-up that there will be NO Snack Shop that day.
*****Sturgeon Heights PFA group have sent home Purdy’s information and order forms this week. All orders need to be placed by Friday, November 25th. Pick up will be on December 8th.
******As this was a short week for students, Lost and Found items are going to stay on display for another week in the hope some will still be claimed. If you are in the school, please check out the tables in the front hallway!
Have a pleasant weekend. Hope you are able to take in one of the various Remembrance Day ceremonies around the City and County. See all your children on Monday!